Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Pinterest Projects: Maternity dress/kameez

Asalamu alaikum,

After avoiding it for so long, I finally joined pinterest, and quickly got addicted. I don't pin that much, mostly just ohhh and ahhh over the brilliant ideas. I have managed to tear myself away for a bit and actually do some of the stuff I pinned. As an encouragement to myself to keep going(rather than just waste my time drooling and never doing) I wanted to post some of the stuff and do a bit of review, keep track of any mods, etc. To see other projects in this little series, click on the "Pinterest projects" label at the end of this post.

Here is the original pin,  and here is my version-

This is a kameez inspired by a vintage maternity sewing pattern. It is a princess cut, with a bit of gathering across the front just under the bust. I sewed up a pair of simple trousers in the same pink as the sleeves to go with it.

Mods-I didn't do the rolled collar, instead I made a regular square neckline with a zipper down the front, to allow for easier breast feeding. I also opted for full sleeves.

I do love the pattern but it would have benefited from a better fabric choice. This one doesn't have enough drape, so on an already fluffy pregnant woman it just made me look a bit more tent like. I might consider doing another version in the future in a different fabric.

1 comment:

umm mini said...

Wa alaykum salaam,

Masha'Allah i love this, you are so creative
sister