Monday, September 23, 2013

More Urdu(or Hindi) Nursery Rhymes

Asalamu alaikum,

A while ago(wow back in June 2011), I posted a couple little nursery rhymes that I had learned and was teaching Saad. Recently I got a little book full of them and have been learning some more. So here are a couple I wanted to share-

Chand ki Pariyan

Dadi amma kheti hain,
Chand pey pariyan rheti hain.

Roz utar ker ati hain,
Apne per pelati hain.

Aj mein raat na songa,
Chand ki pariyan dekhonga.

Dadi amma kheti hain,
Chand pey pariyan rheti hain.

Translation-
Moon Fairies

Grandmother says,
There are fairies living on the moon.

Daily they come,
To open their wings.

Tonight I will not sleep,
I will look for moon fairies.

Grandmother says,
There are fairies living on the moon.

The second one is a bit longer and sounds a bit silly in translation.

Neeli Cheriya

Eik thi Murgi, eik thi cheriya.
 Lal thi murgi, neeli cheriya.

Cheriya ki awaz sureeli,
Nuna sa moo, gardan peeli.

Murgi din bar gana gati,
Cheriya iss sey tung ajati.

Eik din cheriya boliyu,
Bi murgi sey- chu chu chu.

Ande wande laya ker,
Gana tu mat gaya ker!
 Translation-
Blue Sparrow

There was one chicken, there was one sparrow.
The chicken was red, the sparrow blue.

The sparrow's sound was melodious,
The sparrow had a small mouth and yellow neck.

The chicken sang a song all day,
The sparrow was annoyed by it.

One day the sparrow said
to the chicken, chu chu chu!

Eggs shmeggs, bring them,
Just don't sing a song!
InshAllah I am working on some more, and will post them sometime soon!

4 comments:

Umm Aaminah said...

Aww those are cute! Some things of course get lost in translation. :) I'll read those to Aaminah. Her father speaks Urdu mainly so that's nice. :)

Fatima said...

I enjoy these nursery rhymes, made me feel like a kid again! I started to remember when I was young, I was into reading urdu stories. You did good with translation and yes they were very cute, this tells me you are a very good mother.

Fatima from Toronto

Lauri Dilbeck said...

What a delightful blog! i just found you while looking for a Salwar Kameez sewing pattern! Your directions are easy to follow and very helpful and I've enjoyed all your posts very much.I look forward to checking in occasionally to see what other lovely things you have in store. thank you!

Lauri Dilbeck said...

What a delightful blog! I found you while searching for a salwar kameez sewing pattern. Your directions are easy to follow and simple. Thank you for sharing them. I look forward to checking in occasionally to see what other lovely things you have in store! From one artist to another :)