Friday, May 11, 2012

Friday Feature-Just a little reminder

Asalamu alaikum,

My sister in law (who is the next youngest after my husband), and I often butt heads. We argue more than I like to admit to, astaghfirAllah. I think it is because we both have very stubborn personalities. Generally she is a good girl, and very helpful.

So a couple weeks ago we were again not speaking(that's how our fights go down, not too much shouting, weeks of no speaking). During our little arguments, we both get a bit childish, astaghfirAllah. She stops doing all dishes, and I sit and fume and say "well if she isn't doing them, I definitely not going to." So the dishes sit for three or four days and become a small mountain.

The last time this happened was on a Friday and I had just finished listening to a khutbah on Allah's(SWT) mercy. It made me think, why am I doing this? Who am I doing the dishes for anyway? Not for a person, but because they need to be done. In Islam any act can be an act of devotion, everything we do can be for Allah(SWT). All it needs is pure intention.

So I went into the kitchen, and with a real heartfelt "Bismillah" I was off. Alhamdulillah I finished a huge mountain of dishes in what seemed like no time at all. Every time I got distracted or felt angry that I have to do all the dishes I renewed my niyat. Alhamdulillah, it was such a nice feeling that after my speed dish washing, I didn't stop. I went on to scrubbed the tiles on the kitchen wall, the counters and the stove top, which was in absolutely dire need of a scrubbing.

Sometimes we just need to remind ourselves what we are doing, and who we are really doing it for.

2 comments:

Ummm Mini said...

salaam alaykum,

So true. That's usually how I get things done aswell in times of anger.

Thinking said...

hmm...well done...and I hope this act of yours have tender your sister in law too...good luck!