Friday, February 24, 2012

Friday Feature-Book Review: The Crow Eaters

Asalamu Alaikum,

One of the books I picked up at the Urdu Bazaar here in Karachi, it is, I think, my favorite of the lot. The author, Bapsi Sidhwa, creates a story that is easy to fall into. I was so captivated by this book that I read it in a single sitting.

The story follows the life of Faredoon(Freddie) Junglewalla, and his family. It is funny, though a couple of scenes were a bit on the depressing side. It also was interesting to find out a bit about Parsis, and it prompted me to read more about them.

What I liked most was the way the little family dramas were very realistically captured. The back and forth between Freddy and his mother in law, and the little sibling dramas, like when Billy(one of Freddie's sons) takes his sisters' things to "teach them" to be more careful, seem so natural to large joined families. It makes the story so much more interesting, more real.

This is the type of book that makes me really wish there was a sequel, to find out what happens next, or a series to tell the stories of other minor, but interesting characters of the book. I do recommend this one, it was well worth the read, and it will be on the short list of books I would read multiple times!

1 comment:

Aadesh Zamini Nizamani said...

i Was searching the book's name on internet and i got your thoughts about it. Yes you are right, it is outstanding book!!