Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday Feature -Coming Home

Asalamu alaikum,

Our little vacation in Abu Dhabi is over, and we are now back in Pakistan. We stayed there for four months, and had thought to make it a longer stay, but Tariq and his father had some business that could not be put off any longer so here we are. Tariq, one of my sisters in law, my father in law, Saad and I all came, while the rest of the family stayed there.

While I was comfortable in Abu Dhabi, it is now not the same feeling as in our home in Karachi. Part of it has to do simply with space. In Abu dhabi we rent a smallish villa type place. It has three small bedrooms, a small sitting room, a kitchen and ONE bathroom. The best thing about it is the courtyard. It is bigger than the house itself, Alhamdulillah, so lots of outside place to play in. My brother in law keeps chickens, and my father in law and I are able to tend some flower and veggies beds, while the kids have a big space for running around in.

Contrasting that to our house in Pakistan, mashAllah it has three floors, four large bedrooms, five bathrooms, and lots of extra rooms(Alhamdulillah, I even get a sewing/craft room!). The drawback is there is no courtyard. Instead we have our chut(roof area). It is a big space with plenty of room for smaller parties(like mehndi parties), and once in a while we invite a bunch of the extended family over for tikka(grilling).

I enjoyed being in Abu Dhabi as there I have more personal freedoms. Tariq's sisters and I were able to walk around the block for exercise without worrying about the situation outside. Almost every Friday I was able to attend Jummah prayers at the masjid a couple streets over from our house. I also got to go to a couple of meetings of my knitting group in Abu Dhabi, the U-Knitted Amiras. If you are a knitter visiting the UAE, they are a great bunch to hang out with!

But no matter how much I enjoyed being in the UAE, I am now only at home in Pakistan. In Abu Dhabi the feeling has shifted from being home to being a temporary visitor. Since space is limited, I could not count on privacy anymore, which made it all the more uncomfortable.

In Pakistan, Alhamdulillah, I have my own room, with an attached bathroom. No one comes and goes in my room. There is enough space for everyone to have a place to sit when they just want a moment of peace and quiet.

Alhamdulillah we are home.

No comments: