Saturday, December 17, 2011

Scary Sight

Asalamu Alaikum,

We went to Al Ain the other day. Normally the drive takes about an hour, but this time it took about an hour and 45 minutes.

Just outside of the city, we drove by an accident. It must have just happened, because as we came up to the back of the crowd of cars, the first police car zoomed by us. We saw first a couple cars on the left side, just a couple of dents, then part of a bumper, and on the right the car missing said bumper. A bit after that, on the left, a tire and the car it had come off of. We thought that must be it, four cars, but there was still so much traffic. As we drove on a bit more, we saw two more cars on the right, and another car and what looked like a pile of scrap on the left

I have never really seen a serious car accident before. There was glass all over the road, and bits of car. As we drove past the pile of scrap, we saw there was still a man inside. Every one else was standing on the side of the road, next to their cars. There were a couple of guys trying to open the door and take the man out, but the car was so twisted that they were having difficulty. As we got past the accident and out of the crowd, all I could think about was that poor man in the twisted wreck. He had been moving and didn't look seriously hurt, Alhamdulillah. I was so afraid. I don't even know him. I said a dua for him, and we continued on, but we were all quiet. No one in the car spoke for a while, and we didn't feel like turning on the radio.

All of the other cars involved were the larger SUVs favored by a lot of people here, but the car with the trapped man was just a older model small sedan. It probably did not stand a chance against the others.

After a bit more driving, an ambulance drove by us. I just prayed that the man we had seen had been able to get out ok, and that he was going to be all right. It was a scary sight, and I still feel odd thinking about it.

2 comments:

Foz said...

Wa alaikum asalaam

InshALlah he will be OK.

I remember when I was younger we passed a motorbike accident... that image is still vivid in my mind even though it was years ago.

:(

Now I avoid looking.

Anonymous said...

Omg this December 17 2013 we were coming back from Alain and saw a bad accident too,when I was reading your post I thought you were talking bout the same until I saw the date 2011.We were all v sad,I prayed for them though I was hoping all was well but my DIL said they were some covered bodies,it was a v sobering experience and I was thinking a moment ago they were going on their way and in a second they are standing in front of Allah,lesson to learn here v important lesson!