Friday, November 4, 2011

Friday Feature-Oooh look another Masjid!

Asalamu Alaikum,

I love driving around in the UAE. Everywhere we go I always have to point excitedly and shout out "Look another masjid!", at almost every single masjid we pass. Even the little prayer rooms at the gas stations outside the cities.

It is a sense of child-like excitement that I feel. In the states there aren't masajid on every corner, and some of them are not originally built for that purpose, so from the outside they don't have features associated with masajid. Here though, there are so many, and they are all individual. I have not seen(that I can remember) , any two masajid with the same minaret style.

Just today we were in Mussafah, outside Abu Dhabi, and I saw a masjid with a minaret that was a swirling tower. The dome of the masjid was also in a swirl shape, like a shell. I love seeing all the different shapes that minarets come in.

Going over an over pass outside the city, you can see all the minarets in the area. In the city it is a bit harder, because of the buildings, but you can still spot them easily. Usually the sky will open up suddenly, because of the space around the masjid, and it will be at an angle to all other buildings around it. I love counting how many I can see in one minute of driving.

InshAllah I never lose this excitement at seeing a house of Allah(swt).

1 comment:

Um Zakarya said...

Assalamu Aleykum dear sister,

Lol I think I would do just the same!Enjoy your time in UAE, seeing so many different mashALLAH "visible Islam" is a major advantage you get from being in a majority muslim country.
lot of love