Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday Feature-Half filled journals

Asalamu alaikum,

I love paper journals. I have many of them but very few actually get filled.

I get so excited when I get a new journal. The plain paper, fresh, unmarked. What to write first? Sometimes I write a current favorite quotation, or bit of poetry, and almost always I sign my name very neatly on the front page.

I start out strong. I have a plan. I am going to write every day, even if it is just a few sentences. For a couple of months it works. Then I miss a day. Then two. Then weeks go by and nothing gets written. I have lost my enthusiasm for it.

After that happens the journal gets relegated to the being just another notebook. A place to scribble phone numbers, fitting measurements for my latest sewing projects, knitting patterns, and ideas for blog posts(this post was actually written in an old journal :-).

They are still a reflection of my daily life, just in a different form than I was expecting. Sometimes I think they are a truer mirror of my thoughts than the actual journal writing.

3 comments:

Thinking said...

hmmm.....I started maintaining a journal since I passed my 8th grade...before it used to be a daily diary sort of diaries...

My father told me to write...because most of the time due to my shy nature and my elder siblings pressure I never get the chance to talk my heart out...

But than it become my habit and now I am so much into writing my journal that if I don't write it for a few days I kind a feel something is missing from my life...

But yes...it is difficult to write everyday...What I do...is just make a small statement in my journal that what I like to write about whenever I get chance...and thus at the end of the week I have plenty of things to write about...

hmmm...you should not loose enthusiasm for writing by hand...believe me I was just thinking the other day that we are so in a habit of writing everything through keypad that in few days may be I will need to refer to some sort of chart to see the figure of an alphabet...

Good luck with your writings by hand...I like your blog too...and if you bend towards writing by hand more...I will miss your writings on your blog...which I can't endure...

hmmm....

Adventurous Ammena said...

the journal I started in Pakistan about my trip Im thinking to turn into a travel diary :D My up and coming trip to Canada will also be in it insha'Allah :D

Um Zakarya said...

Assalamu Aleykum,

I start diaries and they last for years, as I usually write in them every month or three months lol.

Keep writing, wether it's on diary or blog!

Lot of love