Friday, October 14, 2011

Friday Feature-Review of Moth Smoke

Asalamu Alaikum,

I though it would be fun to write up what I thought of one of the books we picked up in the Urdu Bazaar in Karachi. We picked up five or six books, most by Pakistani authors.

Moth Smoke was an interesting read, but for my taste it seemed a bit over done. Maybe I just don't click with the author's writing style.

The protagonist, Darashikoh, losses his job, and starts using hard drugs. He has an affair with a childhood friend's wife. He turns to crime for money as his life starts to crumble. It has a bit of a twist at the end, it is foreshadowed, but not heavily so it is still a bit of a surprise.

I think one of the main reasons I didn't like it was the unhappy ending. I never really thought I was a happy ending kind of person(although I guess my addiction to romance novels should have made it kind of obvious). By the end I kind of felt sorry for Daru. I mean yes he started with the drugs and the crime, the affair, but what happened was not right. I don't want to spoil the plot, so I will try not to get into too much detail. But prosecution for a crime he has not committed rather than what he has committed while the real culprit goes free, just bothers the heck out of me.

Not a new favorite, but still worth the read. I do recommend it, because I think it is mostly just the style that didn't click for me personally.

1 comment:

luckyfatima said...

I liked Moth Smoke though I told you before many people disliked it since the main character is such a total loser. I really, really liked The Reluctant Fundamentalist, though. I can't remember if you said that you read that one or not. I just received my copy of The Wandering Falcon by Jamil Ahmed...I haven't read it yet, but it has gotten some very high praise. I love collections of short stories, so I am excited about it.