Friday, August 26, 2011

Friday Feature-Ramadhan while pregnant or nursing

Asalamu alaikum,

-This is a scheduled post.
I have decided to stop "live posts" during the month of Ramadhan, to try to concentrate more fully on what I need to during the month. Please don't hesitate to make comments, as I will be stopping in once in a while to check how every body is doing. Have a blessed month every one!

My first Ramadhan, I was almost nine months pregnant with Saad. After asking our doctor and talking to some other sisters, I did not fast that month and decided to make it up at a later time. I know some women may feel comfortable fasting while pregnant, but I was worried, so I didn't.

By my second Ramadhan, we had moved to Abu Dhabi, to live with Tariq's family, and Saad was almost a year old, and still mostly breastfed. I was still a bit concerned, but decided to try to fast on alternate days if it looked like my milk supply was in jeopardy.

Alhamdulillah, I made the whole month without missing a fast! I had no problems with milk supply at all. I tried to stay extra hydrated during the night, and rest a lot during the day. What also helped was that my jaytani(brother in law's wife), has a son only two months younger than Saad, and I didn't feel so alone with my concerns.

By my third Ramadhan(our second over seas), Saad was almost two. While still occasionally breast feeding, he was starting to eat more and more solids, and weaning himself. Alhamdulillah, again I missed no fasts.

The next Ramadhan Saad had been completely weaned for more than six months. This year will be my second Ramadhan without having any worries about the baby/nursing. I do miss having a little one, but it is good to not have the milk concerns anymore.

3 comments:

Adventurous Ammena said...

wow.. u got me excited then ;) but masha'Allah... I pray Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) grants you with more little ones and no more interrupted fasts :D

Garpu said...

Eid mubarak! Hope I got it right! :)

Thinking said...

hmm....Eid Mubarak....

http://thinkinglifeandyou.blogspot.com/