Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday Feature-Goals for Ramadhan

Asalamu alaikum,

-This is a scheduled post.
I have decided to stop "live posts" during the month of Ramadhan, to try to concentrate more fully on what I need to during the month. Please don't hesitate to make comments, as I will be stopping in once in a while to check how every body is doing. Have a blessed month every one!

I like to have at least two goals during Ramadhan that are very easily achievable, simple little goals. I mean, I could set myself to read the whole of the Qur'an in Arabic during the month, but at this point(being able to recognize the alphabet but not much more), I would not achieve my goal.

I also like to try to pick one thing not really religious in nature. Like a bad habit or something that I want to get rid of.

So this year, my first goal is to memorize four of the smaller surahs. More if possible, but at a minimum four. Right now, I know only seven surahs- Al-Fatihah, An-Nas, Al Ikhlas, Al-Falaq, Al-Kafirun, Al-Kauthar, and Al-Lahab(just learned this one recently). So four at a minimum, everybody please make a dua for me that I am able to meet and even exceed this goal!

My second, non-religious goal is to make sure there are no dirty dishes in the sink after fajr(the pre-dawn prayer). I totally admit to being lazy and leaving some of the night dishes in the sink to wash after breakfast. I have had my fair share of dish washer duty while working in fast food, and I just despise doing the dishes. This year, inshAllah, I will break this habit, and I will clean every dish before fajr. InshAllah, I can keep this up even after Ramadhan, and do all dishes as soon as a meal is over!

Anyone else have any Ramadhan goals?

3 comments:

Garpu said...

I totally know what you mean. I find that small things I know I can do every day (and get into the habit of doing) are better than big, grandiose plans for Lent. (Yeah, different focus, I realize.) Hrm. This post of yours might goad me into getting back into the habit of the divine office...

Roshni said...

Salaams sister; this sounds like a really good plan for the month! I decided to finish the qur’an (in English) during this month, and pray Fajar on time (something I’ve been struggling with!).
Can you recommend any good audio recitations of qur’an for memorising? After reading your post, I feel like I should try to learn a sura or 2 as well as I also only know 7! Due to my visual impairment, I don’t read Arabic so really need a good audio recording to memorise from.
My duas are with you, Insha Allah you achieve your goals and are richly blessed during this month aameen.

Umm Aaminah said...

Salaam sis. These sound like good ideas and I think having a non-religious goal is good too. Anything that improves our manners or style of living is pleasing to Allah.

I pray you are successful in all your endeavors, amin!