Sunday, July 17, 2011

It all looks so easy in the TV

Asalamu alaikum,

The past couple of days I have begun to get a bit worried that maybe our little fascination with survival shows on the Discovery channel might be getting a little out of hand.

Tariq, Saad and I have been going up on the roof during our late afternoon load shedding time to get some outside time because it is just too hot to sit inside without fans. Usually I sit and do a bit of knitting, or writing, and the boys fly kites. Sometimes I'll bring some juice and a snack and we'll have a little picnic.

Our little roof play time has now become an exercise in survival techniques. Most specifically how to make fire. At first it was just Saad, he would take some little sticks from an old kite, and try to twirl them between his palms on top of an old board. Then Tariq got involved. Then I had to have a go.

After I got a blister on one hand, I gave up and went back to my knitting. Tariq has even tried a technique that he saw on Dual Survival, which involved a mobile phone battery and a bit of steel wool. He has a plan that he will learn how to make a fire, practice now, and then have it all down when we get to the US and want to go camping.

Almost a week of trying and still no fire, maybe I should google it?

7 comments:

Thinking said...

hmmm....let them play some more time...

Um Zakarya said...

Assalamu Aleykum sister,

Your post really made me laugh.

Maybe you guys should broadcast your own tv show "Survivors ona roof in Pakistan".I would be a faithful viewer :)

Aishah said...

Salams,

Thinking-I suppose they'll get bored after sometime and move onto some new game, but for now I don't bother them in their little fun.

Um Zakarya-You could possibly make a guest episode, while on a visit to PK? ;-)

I love our roof, some of my favorite moments of my time here in PK are spent up there.

Um Zakarya said...

Just the sentance "visiting Pakistan" makes me shiver out of fear of getting once again terribly ill.Oh let's see the positive side, I will lose weight!I accept the guest episode offer :)

Aishah said...

That is exactly how my weight came down very quickly, I came here and dropped like 25-30 kgs in less than 6 months! It was very rough though.

If you do come back I find the best way to avoid getting sick is to be very strict with water. Only bottles for all drinking/cooking/fruit washing/etc.

UmmIbrahim said...

Hilarious! What is it with boys (big or small) and fire? We just took our first camping trip this last weekend (my youngest is 4 and we figured it was time). I camped all the time as a kid, but my dh had never been (not much camping in tents in PK!). What was the favored activity of all the boys (dh included)? Why the fire activities of course! Tell your guys to keep practicing because fire starting isn't as obvious as it seems like it should be! My kids all learned that through much amusing trial and error!

Um Zakarya said...

SubhanALLAH 25-30 kg is a lot!!!JazakALLAH for the tip about water.WHen I go back to pakistan I will definitely stick to bottle water for everything.