Monday, June 27, 2011

What's up with all of us?

Asalamu alaikum,

Umm Aaminah's post the other day got me thinking(mashAllah, the sister really gets me thinking a lot!) about manners in general, and the differences between people(Muslim and non-Muslim) in the USA, and other places I've been.

I also miss my masjid back home, there were so many lovely sisters, it felt like a family. There were some times when rudeness/bad manners were there, but overall it was a good environment.

Sometimes people here in Pakistan will tell me how bad Americans/the West/Non-Muslims are. I have bitten my tongue many many times, because the behavior of many Muslims here is worse than most of the non-Muslims that I know. I have seen more racist crap here and in the UAE than I have ever seen in the USA. In Abu Dhabi they are allowed to advertise for people of a specific race/ethnicity/nationality to fill specific positions. Women and men here are often judged on the basis of how fair their skin is, passed over as suitors because they are "too dark", or the wrong "caste"(or tribe) People steal, lie, cheat, bribe, back bite, and a whole host of other things on a daily basis, and then go on to say how Americans have no morals.

This kind of negativity and hypocrisy is just pathetic. We are Muslims, we are suposed to be brothers and sisters of each other. Why are we some of the worst offenders?

In general I have seen more respectful treatment of our fellow human beings in the non-Muslim countries than I have seen in the Muslim countries. Non-Muslims give me more respect, and respect my religious and personal rights more than Muslims in a Muslim county. Why are so many Muslims so bad to each other and to others? It certainly isn't Islam, which promotes good manners and brother/sisterhood.

Sometimes I feel like shouting to people to look at them selves before they complain about the non-Muslims, but then I take my own advice and look at myself and that helps me calm the urge to scream at them. But there are somethings that just go beyond what I can stand, racism and bigotry are the worst. Why can't we all just treat other human beings with a bit of respect and decency?

6 comments:

Foz said...

Asalaam Alaikum

You do have a point but at the same time I have also seen sooo many negative comments from non muslims about muslims. I read sky news etc alot online and if you check out the comments on any news article about muslims then there are pages and pages of comments against muslims and then if theres articles on pakistanis then its even worse. So I reckon it goes both ways. When I see those comments it makes me mad and then to be honest I will start 'dissing the west' ( I live in the west but hoping not for long). I have had to bite my tongue and not comment on the articles because I know once I get started I wont shut up lol

I also think that the non muslim countries will soon all stop respecting religious rights....ie niqaab ban in france, cant wear hijaab for football, for weight lifting etc etc

But you are right, some of the muslims in the muslim countries do need a reality check. The term 'brotherhood' and 'sisterhood' sadly seems to be vanishing.

Everyone needs to take a good hard look at themselves and rediscover what Islam means

Aishah said...

Wa alaikum asalam,

I don't bother reading comments on Islam related news articles anymore,or most news articles at all, too much bigotry :-(

I don't think that it will get so far that they stop respecting all religious rights though(really that niqab ban is just crazy, maybe that saying about the exception that proves the rule?).

Really all of humanity needs a reality check, we are all just out of hand.

Umm Aaminah said...

Salaam sis and thanks for the compliment. :-)

Alhamdulillah I'm mostly over what happened the other night and back to perpetually trying to see the good and remember my own faults again.

That's enough to keep me busy for a good long while. :-)

Ma salaama....

Um Zakarya said...

Assalamu Aleykum sister,

I have to agree with sis Foz.I live in france and everyday life is terrible here for muslims (niqab ban, hijabi women/men wearing kamees can't study or work, we are litterally harassed by people in the street everytime we go out...).People express and show their hatred for Islam more and more, there have been several assaults on Niqabi and hijabi sisters here in France.I,as a french muslim, fell threatened by my own government and my own people.
But on the other side, I do believe all this wouldn't happen if muslims held on firm to ALLAH SWT and not to Unislamic cultures, or traditions, or the love of Dunya.

Thinking said...

hmm....we all have black sheeps hidden in our flocks you know....

...and yes...you are so much right about the checks one need to do before making any remarks on others...

Aishah said...

Salams,

Umm Aaminah-Yup, my own laundry list of faults is generally enough to keep me busy ;-) but the occasional complaint breaks out of me when I least expect it!

Um Zakarya-I will keep you in my duas sister, it must be very difficult to live with such bigotry on a daily basis. I will pray that you can get to a place that is more welcoming to you and your family.

Thinking-You are right about black sheep, they are in all religions and nationalities. For many things I don't make comment, because I am far from perfect, but for racism and bigotry we all have to stand against it, or it will never stop.