Friday, March 11, 2011

Friday Feature- Auto Rickshaws

Asalam Alaikum,

One of my favorite ways to get around in Karachi is rickshaws. The only time I get to ride in them though is when I go shopping with my sisters in law. Anytime I go out with Tariq it is always in a car/taxi or on the motorcycle.

A regular size rickshaw.


Peek-a-boo, Saad likes rickshaws too!


View from the back seat, steers with handlebars.


Outside the main market in our part of town the rickshaw drivers line up and wait for a fare.


I love rickshaws so much, when I saw these little toys in the market I just had to get them...for Saad.(Yeah for the baby, right! Babies make great excuses to buy things you are "too old for")


Zipping around in a rickshaw is really fun, the drivers usually go very fast and also turn sharply so it can be quite the adventure. The other day I posted about the truck art, rickshaws are also sometimes highly decorated, inside and out. Sometimes vinyl stickers or paint, sometimes bead hangings or colorful cloth. A couple of rickshaws we have rode in have strands of jasmine flowers hanging from the rear view mirror.

A couple little tips though if you have never been in a rickshaw- always negotiate the fare up front, if you don't then some drivers try to overcharge you by a lot. Also if you are pretty tall (Tariq is 5'10" and has trouble fitting comfortably in the regular rickshaws) then try to find a CNG rickshaw, they are a bit larger and so have more headroom.

7 comments:

Adventurous Ammena said...

I wanted to go on one of these.. but if youre hubby is uncomfortable, mine will be squished :( and I wont go on my own!! ;)

Aishah said...

InshAllah if we have time while you're here maybe we can go for a quick shopping trip near my house, and take a short ride in one.

If you have any Sisters in law maybe they can take you? Or your mother in law?

Thinking said...

hmmm....I even wanted to buy one of these NEW CNG rikshaw....

I am so much in love with them...

Aishah said...

I had suggested that to my husband and he said no... :-(

It does look like fun to drive one though, and easier than a full sized car.

Linhy said...

Interesting blog and thoughts you got going on there!! Check out my blog sometimes when you get a chance. If you like my writing and what’s on there become my follower!
http://lifemadness-linhy.blogspot.com

luckyfatima said...

Awwww, I LOVE the toy auto rikshaws! How sweet! I will be on the look out for them next time I come to KHI.

Aishah said...

@luckyfatima, the toys seem to come and go in cycles. I saw them once and then it was two months before I found them again. They also had a motorized one that played annoying music and spins in circles. As much as I wanted it I decided against it, saves me future headaches!