Friday, March 25, 2011

Friday Feature-An Artist's Hands

Asalamu Alaikum,

For the longest time I have wanted to have long delicate fingers, smooth unblemished hands. Maybe I read too many romance novels, but always the heroine's hands seem to be described with words like- "delicate", "elegant", "smooth", "porcelain", "fine boned", "tender", "exquisite", and "graceful". In my mind I have this picture of a hand with slender wrists, with long and graceful fingers, the kind I have always imagined artists and piano players to have.

When I look at my hands they don't look anything like the picture I see in my head. My wrist is not slender, my palms are square, and my fingers are on the short and stubby side. When I used to look at my hands I sometimes thought that they were "peasant hands", rough, square palmed, hard and more suited to working in a field all day than creating art.

I love to work with my hands, all the crafts that I do, the sewing, the knitting, everything is still art to me. Sometimes I am following a pattern(usually not though), but even then it is in a way still art. Similar to the way musicians play the notes written, crafters following patterns are just playing their own notes.

I am not sure when my opinion of my hands changed, but somewhere along the line it did. My hands may not have long slender fingers, but they still create things. I wrote a post once about my mental body image, and how it doesn't really match to what I see in the mirror. Not quite the same problem, as my hands haven't magically turned into the idealized image I have of an artist's hands, but my perception of my hands has changed.

Now when I look at my hands I see that they are still square, with stubby fingers, but also that they are strong, capable, beautiful- the hands of an artist.

6 comments:

Adventurous Ammena said...

:) masha'Allah... the slender wrists and thin fingers arent always artists hands either ;) I have that.. I cant draw to save my life and my skin is somewhat ruined by the beautiful scar on my right hand :( Allahu alim.. Ive learned to love what I have alhamdulillah and use it to the best of my ability masha'Allah

Aishah said...

Salams sis, Your embroidery work is amazing! MashAllah, you definitely have the hands of an artist.

Thinking said...

hmm....well...I always believe that beauty is Allah's responsibility on human....

I am glad that Allah didnt give me such responsibility....

But yes...beauty has nothiong to do with ART....ART has much more to do with HEART that good hands...

But...yes....in my youth...I also desired for long slender (branch)like hands...

Allah is the best to choose what we should and shouldn't have...

To Allah be all glory.

Nice Post !

Aishah said...

Salams Thinking

Thank you!

Alhamdulillah, I am learning(though slowly) to be content with what I am and what I have. It just took me a while to see that Allah(swt) has given me exactly what is right for me, though it may not be what I think I need. :-)

Anonymous said...

I have always liked my square, strong craftswoman's hands that can do everything from mending the car to bricklaying to lace knitting, and my square, strong body. To me the descriptions of slender hands and delicate build are often used to indicate physical weakness and a social position that doesn't require one to do any physical work.

Kate Corwyn

Aishah said...

Hi Kate,
Interesting point of view! thanks for visiting.