Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday Feature- Buh-dia Fashion

Asalam Alaikum,

I am not fashionable. I never have been, I was not girly-girly growing up, never really had any interest in make-up or fashion. I was much more likely to be found playing in the mudflats close to our house, digging up clams/snails, than playing dress up.

After marrying Tariq I did change a little. He bought me a couple shalwar kameez suits to wear, because he liked the look of them. I liked them because for the fashion challenged they are already matched, I didn't have to worry that I looked like I got dressed in the dark. They are also extremely comfortable, especially when pregnant with Saad and none of my other clothes fit. I didn't wear them too often outside the house, only once or twice to the masjid(I am pretty sure I got a lot of weird stares for that one). Mostly I wore an abaya to cover up anyway.

When we got to the UAE to live with Tariq's family, they just assumed that I would wear what everyone else wore. I didn't even really think about it. All of his sisters are very fashionable, keeping up with the latest trends. I didn't really pay attention to what was fashionable, I just went for what felt the most comfortable. Tariq's sisters tease(playfully-not meanly) that I dress like a "buh-dia", an old woman.

When I am fashionable it is usually by accident. For example-I like my kameezes extra long, hitting below the knee. Now long kameez is in fashion, so I look fashionable even thought that's not what I was going for.

I love to sew my own suits(partly because I enjoy sewing and partly because of the problems I have had with tailors not listening). Sometimes I will get an idea, and then try it out. Sometimes I get the fashion thumbs up and sometimes I get the "buh-dia fashion" face. I have changed to the point where I do enjoy a little bit of fashion for special occasions, but I am still a "comfort over looks" kind of girl.

2 comments:

Umm Aaminah said...

Salaam sis. You know there is nothing wrong with comfort over fashion! As muslimahs we should be more concerned with our modesty than being flashy (as you know). :-)

I was the same as you growing up, a very tomboy-ish girl; my nickname was Sam! lol Since becoming a Muslim I feel I am much more feminine however. Feminine doesn't equal fashionable however. I feel very feminine in my flowing abaya (plain not glitzy khaleeji wear!) and long plain khimar. I feel feminine with my plain short nails and cute but sensible shoes.

I dress for comfort and modesty and still feel beautiful. It's lovely. :-)

ma salaama....

Thinking said...

hmm....same here...

I am not fashionable too...especially I can't guess what type of dress would suit the occasion and always ask for my Mother-in-Law's advise.

Nice reading you....